Saturday, February 12

Last Day of Classes

Today was my last day of classes as a student at Progressive Education School. For a really long time I thought that this day couldn't come soon enough but today I realized that I'm going to miss going to school and my friends there. I'm going back on Tuesday to take an exam because I want to. Then hopefully when we return from the North tour I'll find some time to go back and visit. Today was one of the best days of school I had my whole time there which is sad, things always seem better right as your leaving. I learned a lot at Progressive and it's been such a big part of my life since I got here that I can't imagine not going to school there for the rest of my time here.
After school today I went to the house of one of the teachers in my school who also lives in my colony. She teaches kindergarten and we've talked before while waiting for the bus and walk home. Her little 5 year old daughter often is out on their balcony when I walk by and she waves and calls to me asking me questions in Hindi and English, sometimes she asks me to come in. The mother had asked me to come in for tea before but I've always been busy. Both the mother and daughter are very sweet. I got a tour of the downstair from the mother and a tour of the upstair from the daughter. The latter tour involved showing me which room housed which toys and fun things rather than what each room was, I got to meet her pet baby turtles and look at her pink dress and fairy wings. Her bedroom walls are covered in crayon drawings on almost every reachable surface, it was actually kind of cool looking. I was also really surprised at her ability to use the computer, I'm pretty sure that 5 year old knows more than I do. The mother wants to invite me to go out for coffee or something some time which I look forwards to.

I got special permission to bring a camera to school today so I could take pictures for memories and stuff which was a really big treat for all the girls in my class. Below are some of my the pictures we took today. Unfortunately I didn't really end up getting many of the school but a lot more of the people which I guess are more important.

Two Classmates
Left: Aayushi Jain, Right: Mansi Jain (they're not related Jain is a really common last name especially, it seems in my class).  Mansi was my "mentor" when I first arrived at school and the first person I considered a friend in the class. 

Outside during the 15 minute whole school break between 4th and 5th periods. In the monsoon season this acts as a gutter for all the water, the rest of the time it's just a good place to sit and chat during breaks.
From Left: Dhriti, Mansi, Srishti, Aayushi, and Me

Posing next to one of the school's buses.  The average Indorie school bus is yellow with a brown stripe and the school's name on the side.
From Left: Dhriti, Srishti, Mansi, Aayushi, and Me

More poses during break.
From Left: Dhriti, Gulisha, Mansi, Iram, Akanksha, Aayushi, and Me

More poses, this time we're just outside of the stage area where we have morning assembly, performances, and play sports sometimes. There is only a green mesh for roofing so during monsoon season the assemblies were held up in the dining hall. It sort of acts as a much larger "pit" like we have at my school at home.
From Left: Me, Iram, Gulisha, Mansi, Akanksha, Dhriti, Aayushi.

My cousin Preneesha and I both go to Progressive. Her dad is my host dad's younger brother, we've had dinners together and gone to some wedding receptions too.

During a free period (study hall) we got permission to go out and take pictures.
From Left: Me, Iram, Gulisha, Mansi

The Whole Class (minus two)
Front Row From Left: Me, Aayushi, Divya (doesn't like her picture begin taken)
Middle Row From Left: Srishti, Mansi, Gulisha, Akanksha, Iram
Back Row From Left: Nikolas, Dhriti, Yash, Akhil, Kush

Nikolas and I with our class teacher, Mrs. Pragya Dave. The class teachers are homeroom teachers, she also taught us math.

The 11th class room.

Looking down the hall, of which our classroom is at the very end, into the main entry way.

Mrs. Sharma, our Hindi teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment