Thursday, February 17

17!!!

I forgot to mention earlier but my mom and sister (the real ones) arrived at the Indore airport at 8pm on the 15th and are here until the morning of the 19th when they move on to Nepal for two weeks. Visiting me is more of a stop on the way rather than a destination. They wouldn't becoming here if they weren't going to Nepal and the wouldn't be going to Nepal if I weren't here in India.
Yesterday I turned 17.
I spent the morning with my mom and sister. We went shopping and got them some clothes. I act as a guide and interpreter even when people are speaking English. In the later morning we headed over to Ritu Grover's for a quick visit and coffee and cake. Reba, our counselor joined us there. After being fed too much cake and snacks we went back to the mall for a little bit to to meet my friends Jordan and Nikolas. We had drinks at a cafe and chatted. At 3, upon returning to the hotel, Ritu and Reba had arranged for us to get mehendi (henna) done. The woman came to our room and just set up in there. By the time our mehendi was dry and set we had to get ready for dinner with my family (host). I get very confused because I call both my host parents and my real parents mom and dad. The other exchange students had also been invited which was also confusing because that meant there were two Hannahs (the German one and my sister). We hung out, chatted, ate snacks, and I opened a few presents. Before going to the restaurant I cut the cake. As per tradition they sang to me as I blew out the candle three versus, the traditional "Happy Birthday to you" versus then "Long life to you" and then "Many boyfriends to you". My mom made some comment about the last one. Following the cutting I also had to feed the cake to people starting with my mom, then my host mom, and my sister. Pretty soon I ended having cake smeared on my face instead of begin fed it and I started doing the same. A large cake fight ensued by the end of which I hadn't gotten a chance to eat very much cake as it had all been used for ammunition. I got the worst of it with my sisters, cousins, and friends all ganging up on me to smear and grind it into my face and hair. Consequently, I ended up covered in cake from head to foot. After changing clothes and attempting to wash and brush my hair, I was semi-presentable for my birthday dinner. We went to the restaurant in the hotel mom and Hannah are staying at and ended up being up very late for dinner.
All in all it was a pretty good birthday I even got to talk to my real dad on the phone for a little bit.
This morning we were up semi-early and visited my school in the morning. Mom really wanted to see the school I've been attending. We spoke to my principal and vice principal and I showed them around the school. We saw a few of my teachers and friends in the process and stopped to say hello.
After our visit to school a hotel hired driver took us to a few sights in the older part of Indore. These were all places I'd never been to. I've done no sightseeing in the city so it was all new and really interesting for me too. Unfortunately, by the second sight Hannah was feeling sick so we ended up going back to the hotel early and just resting and spending time there. It's can be really hard on a stomach to adjust to Indian food and environment. Some people have it worse than others. I was lucky in that I've never really been that sick where as some people get it really bad.
Tonight we're supposed to have dinner with my exchange student friends. I wish I could have done more birthday stuff with my Indian friends but it's right in the middle of exams so they can't be out at nights or get distracted from studying...


My siblings and cousins. From Left: Sister Hannah, Me, my host cousin Prenisha, my host sister Ipshita, and host cousin Jahanvi.

Cake.

Waiting for dinner with my host mom.

My sister and I in front my my school.

No comments:

Post a Comment