Wednesday, September 1

Birthday Party

More school...
But it was my friend Dhriti's birthday today so she got to dress out of uniform and pass out chocolate all day.
I had English, Free period, triple Chem, Bio, Hindi, and then basketball today!
In Chem we had a practical which was really fun, mixing the chemicals and seeing how they react with each other. I like doing that kind of thing, where you have to be very careful in order to get good results and when you do you feel like you accomplished something.
We had a pleasant change change in basketball and a bunch of middle school aged kids were let out of their class so that they could play with us so this time we had a full basketball game instead of the usual two-on-two half-court.
This evening, after I got home at the usual 4:30, I left again at 5 to go to a Dhriti's birthday party. Her mom and brother picked me up as my host parents were both at work...
I didn't have much to party in as I left everything I would have worn at home, it wouldn't have been appropriate anyways (too much shoulder and knee showing...) The party was held in a club in a near-by hotel. There was a DJ and catering and the club was rented out just for us. Most of the girls in my class were there and a few other girls who has been in the class but moved schools. We danced and ate and danced some more. Most of it was very like a party at home. However, when the cake was served, the birthday girl cut the first piece and her brother fed it to her. The second piece has fed to her by her mother and then all of the guests fed her a little piece. The music was also very familiar for the most part, about 75% of the songs were American or techno. When Hindi songs came on though, I was the only one who didn't know all the words. My friends tried to teach me some of the Indian style moves... I think I'm starting to get them...
Some of the girls were REALLY good dancers, but there's always that one girl who can REALLY dance in a group. It was a TON of fun, the party ended at 7 because it would be indecent of the girl were out past 8-8:30...
The other difference was the food, it wasn't Indian food but pizza, pasta with red sauce, chinese noodles, and french fries, plus cake and ice cream. A normal birthday fare except for that all but the latter two dishes were a lot more spicy than you would find at home...
All in all though, it was very similar to a party at home, lots of dancing, picture taking, and gossiping (I think, it was mostly in Hindi...)

No comments:

Post a Comment