Thursday, September 9

Monsoon Season

It's finally starting to feel like monsoon season here. Before, every now and then there was a light rain or maybe a short downpour. Now though, it's been raining for nearly 4 days straight. Not just light sprinkles either. At night especially, there is some serious thunder and lightning sometimes. The road in front of my house is now a lake.  It's knee deep in some places and goes from the house to the end of the road where it meets the main road. In the mornings Sumita has had to drive me around two blocks to the bus stop, instead of my just walking.
There are women who work at our school as messengers between the teachers and between the prinicpal and teachers. They also serve the principal. Yesterday morning they met all the cars with umbrellas and escourted the kids in so they didn't get too wet.
I enjoy the rain. It sort of cools things off and in general, I think the rain is fun. Sometimes Nimisha and I go up and play tag on the roof during a really good downpour. The downside though, is that now, when the rain stops and the sun comes out, the air is very damp and heavy.
The rain also affects the power. For the first few days I was here the power went out a couple times for a few mintues. Yesterday and today, it went out for longer periods of time at school. In the US it's kind of fun when the power goes out but here, the fans don't work and the air gets very stuffy in the classrooms. Yesterday, during daily assembly they used car batteries to power the microphones.
Tuesday, the exchange students got together and watched a movie at Nikolas's house. We watch a VERY popular movie here called The Three Idiots. It was really good and I want to take a copy home.
I also left my host family today as they are having guests arrive tomorrow and the girls are going to give up their room to sleep with the parents.  This would leave me with nowhere to sleep. I was going to move to a new host family right away, but instead I'm spending the weekend at Ritu's (Ritu is the exchange student coordinator). Hannah from Germany is living here right now. Tonight, we all went out to dinner at a very nice restraunt.

Hannah in one of her kurtis (sorry it's sideways) at dinner.

Trying to get a picture of my kurti (I'm not very good at getting pictures of myself). The pictures that I had others take didn't turn out well.

Ritu Grover, (left) the exchange student coordinator, and Reba Majumdar, (right) the exchange student counselor, at dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment