Saturday, August 21

Arrival

Yesterday I arrived around 8:30ish in the morning and was met at the airport by a large number of people who gave me flower garlands and such. I then slept A LOT. My host family is very nice. The father is a factory owner and the mother makes and designs bed spreads, quilts, pillow covers etc. The girls are 14 and 11 the oldest is named Nikita ( a name that always makes me smile because of the movie we watch in French class). There are also the father's grandparents who either do not speak English or don't want to. There seems to be very little privacy especially because I'm sharing a room with the girls even though they are very private people if that makes sense.
Yesterday I took a bath which consisted of a bucket of hat water and a pitcher in the bathroom with a drain in the floor. I still managed to feel fairly clean afterwards. I have very little space and am still sort of living out of a suitcase all though the girls are going to clear off shelf space for me. The younger on (whose name i cannot spell) LOVES to play board games and so I have done a lot of that with her. 
Nikita took me to a Bollywood movie today (all in Hindi) I sort of got the plot line but not all of it. It was still fun to watch. We ate lunch at a McDonalds but all veggitarian so I had Nikita order for me. I still don't know exactly what I ate. 
I then went to a Rotary orientation where I met the other area exchange students there is a boy and girl from Germany, another boy and girl from America, and a boy from Colombia. We have to go to a Rotary meeting tomorrow and I have to think of something to say...
I wish I were taking more pictures but it is hard to always have the camera out at the right time. Like this morning when a cow wandered into the garage type space and was heading for  the garden to eat...
I gave the girls Silly Bands as gifts, the other exchange students were interested in them too. It's a silly little fashion but people like them so... 
It's funny, the kids have no chores here other than putting their things away. The maids do everything for them. There are also no meal times especially on the weekends, everyone just eats when they want. Speaking of eating, apparently I don;t do enough of it because everyone is always asking if I want more and "here have some of this and some of that" When asked if I was hungry yesterday I said "not really " and was promptly told that in India there is no such thing as not really hungry.
As it is monsoon season there has been a good bit of rain which has pluses and minuses. The rain cools everything down but it also brings out the smell of the streets. 
I hope to post pictures soon!

2 comments:

  1. KELSEY I LOVE YOU! I'm glad you made your long plane ride successfully and also vegetarian McDonald's?! That makes me, your veggie friend, smile.

    Love, Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyyyloooo :)I hope you have a great time and see and think about as much as you can take in. All the bright colors but also the not so bright ones, the sights, sounds, smells, and most importantly, the people. You will learn the most from them. I know there are realists, and there are optimists, and India is an extreme place to be to make one question a lot of things... and I'm not sure this is clear the way I'm writing it...but have an incredible time out there and seek opportunities. Seize the day. Do something(s). I am excited for you! Much love, Lucy

    ReplyDelete